2011 marks the 100th birthday of legendary slugger of the Negro League, Josh Gibson. In commemoration, the Josh Gibson Centennial Celebration Educational Tour has been launched. The goal of this travelling celebration is to educate the masses on Josh Gibson's legacy. After overcoming many challenges Josh Gibson went on to become, as widely regarded by many, the greatest Negro League Player ever. Through first-hand narratives told by Josh Gibson's great-grandson, Sean L. Gibson, at schools, colleges, and universities across the country, the memory of some of the greatest players to never play in the Major League Baseball are saluted and honored.
The program consists of the following;
- Highlight Josh Gibson "The Legend Behind the Plate" Documentary (50 minutes)
- Sean L. Gibson as Keynote speaker to discuss the history of the Negro Leagues with an emphasis on the city's connection to the Negro Leagues (20 minutes)
- Panel discussion/ Q&A following documentary to include Sean L. Gibson and local Negro League Players or Historians (40 minutes)
- Select items from the Josh Gibson Foundation traveling exhibit will display in the room; Details listed on a timeline, from Josh's birth to modern day allowing students to not only view the items, but also follow his story through time
- Raffle for Josh Gibson Gift Basket
- Autograph session and photo opportunities